Friday, October 3, 2008

the best we can do, that I can do.

Well now is as good a time as any.

The group I watched the debates with, they were ironic without empathy. Essentially, the worst of America - as you and I discussed the other night when we disagreed.

The bubbles. Perhaps it's an effect of this especially sports focused city, but they may as well have given a big crowd wave every time Biden opened his mouth, and heckled the umpire whenever Palin responded.

One woman could not stop exclaiming how bad a moderator Gwen Ifil seemed to be for refusing to chastise the Governor any time she veered away from the question in her response. Perhaps she has never seen a politician do their thing. I did not have a chance to ask.

We know that a first step towards empathy is active listening, but there was none of that in this liberalest, Jewy crowd.

Two things of special interest to me was the group's body jerk reaction to the Israel questions. I have no clue what the Governor said, all I know is that the group disagreed with her and grumbled during the Senator's response. Liberal Jews are obliged to disagree friends of Israel, and agree at the same time, for conveniences' sake.

The other thing (notice the identity politics trend) was the crowd's discomfort with the same-sex relationship question. All in attendance were shocked at her mention of the word tolerance and appalled that she would admit to supporting equitable treatment for adults who chose their partners regardless of sex. And then, noble Joe took the same position - with apparent greater discomfort and cumbersome language than the pretty lady - and it seemed to resonate far better with the -clearly- beyond tolerant audience.

---- I hope that these examples help to substantiate my argument that the bubble cleavage is far wider than the rhetoric of repair presumes. City and suburbs, Democrat and Republican, they're not listening to each other.

Of course, as I write I reflect on some possible absolving factors. The buildup of last night was obviously pressing and emotion boiling - and I certainly value the glasses of wine I consumed during the talky thing.
The party was organized by a friend who is working under the auspice of Righteous Indignation, and while RI is 501 c3 non partisan, the crowd was just living up to the title.
Maybe they all are content actually hating America.
And maybe it's just cause she was prettier than everyone in the audience.

That Governor, she sure would make a pretty VP.

1 comment:

czf said...

is there anything worse than irony unaccompanied?